Week 2 Reflection

            This week, I learned the terms “Digital Natives” and “Digital immigrants.” Though a millennial, I struggle to classify myself as a Digital Native or a Digital Immigrant. I struggle with social media applications and prefer not to use them because they consume a lot of my time and leave me feeling drained. Being a "Digital Resident/Native/Netizen" or a "Digital Immigrant/Visitor" is not solely determined by age. It depends on one's access to technology and one's comfort level with using it. Many YouTubers, Instagrammers, and content creators from Generation X or early Millennials were not initially equipped with advanced technology or gadgets. Nevertheless, they have become proficient users, often driven by social or economic motivations.

            In addition, I have also become familiar with how social relations have changed over time, leading to glocalization, meaning that the accessibility of cars, phones, and air travel has enabled "glocalization," fostering both global and local connections. As a result, personal networks have become more intricate and accelerated. Communities now exist as spatially dispersed personal networks rather than traditional neighborhoods or tightly knit groups. Seeing someone alone no longer indicates isolation or loneliness, as they can access their community via the internet and mobile phones.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6 weekly Reflection

Week 1: Not my first Blog!

Week 3: Shared Awareness in a Developing Context